Monday, March 7, 2011

Awkward

So I have this problem with middle eastern men's names. The problem is that many men share the same name. Often when I get a call it will come up showing a man's name, of which I may have four or five listed, or, if the number shows up unlisted, after the man says his name it may take several minutes for me to figure out which person of that first name is talking. There is no voicemail service on the cell phones so one tends to answer when the phone rings.

I just got a call that said it was coming from someone with our project director's name. So I answered but by the time I could find my phone in my purse and push the answer button it was a hang up. So I called back. I thought his voice sounded different. Then there was this very awkward pause and attempts at a conversation. It took me a while to realize that the call was from this guy I met in a Dubai bar last fall. That night last fall he was all keen to swap numbers and get together but later in the night as we had had more drinks and he found out how old my son was he lost interest. I had been flattered by the attention but not all that interested in the guy so was good to let it just fade away.

I realized that the call to me this afternoon was probably a misdial. I was awkward. He was more so. I need to revise my phone listings. I need to give this guy a last name like "Dubainewsproducer" and my Director the last name "Boss" or something. It was so awkward: like being in Jr. High and calling a boy on a dare and then trying to make an interesting conversation if heavenforbid he answers the phone. A-W-K-W-A-R-D!

3 comments:

KelleyM said...

You always make me laugh... out loud... seriously!

-K

Anonymous said...

Lolling too!

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

That is funny. There are always common names...lol. But hey I was wondering if you could take a look at my blog and let me know what you think. Thank you. http://medschooldream.blogspot.com/