Monday, October 13, 2008

My Pen Name


When I first started out in my professional career my mother would phone the office occasionally to touch base with me. Cognizant of my new career, she thought it might be awkward for me to have the receptionist announce "Jennifer L., your mother is on line 1." So she used a pseudonym, Lou Woods, which was a take off from her real name "Mary Lou Harwood." She didn't tell me she was going to do that. I just got a call one day at work from "Lou Woods." I was scrambling mentally as to which client, which project, might the call coming through the line be related to. Relieved to hear her voice, and thankful for her thoughtfulness, she became Lou Woods on the work phone. She did a little writing after that, submitted magazine articles and such. She adopted Lou Woods as her pen name for that. Now she's gone and so I take her pen name as mine. Thanks Mum!

No comments: