Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashes to Dust



Ash Wednesday service tonight
(no, I didn't get extra ashes put under my eyes to match the one on my forehead. It just looks that way)


Somber service. The message was delivered by my pastor who I call friend, Terry Tripp. Her husband is dying of cancer. A really tear inducing message and so appropriate for the beginning of lent.


We really don't know why things happen the way they do. We just don't know. But I have faith in God who does understand suffering, came through his Son who paid the ultimate price to suffer among us, to be right beside us in this world of unknowns. Who gives us hope for a better tomorrow, here or on the other side. That's my profession of faith on this eve of this new season.



"The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ." (on Easter) - from Wikipedia

I have a habit of playing endless games of spider solitaire with the TV on when I am zoning out at night. My usual method of turning off my brain. The problem is that I tend to loose hours doing this when I could/should be doing more productive things. Like putting dishes away in the kitchen, folding laundry, calling a friend, getting to bed at a decent hour, reading...so many better things to do. And so, my self-denial this lent is to stay away from Spider Solitaire. Will probably end up with more blogging. Already I've caught myself mindlessly going towards that start bar to begin a game without even thinking about it. Fortunately I've caught myself before I actually deal a game. It may seem lame. Not giving up booze or chocolatte or sex or anything like that. Actually there's not much to give up in those categories. This will be something that I know I waste so much time doing so it will be good for me to give it a break. And will NOT replace it with another mindless computer game to fill its place.

Peace be with you this evening.

-J

No comments: