Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So Much to Read....So Little Time

Over the break I managed to accumulate some good books to read. Some from friends, some from family. Some from the bargain table at the book store. One from our neighborhood ladies monthly wine and whine session. This time we brought books to swap with each other.



As usual I have several books going at once. Typically I have many started...not so many finished. But dear friends, here's my stack. Let me know if you want to borrow any...there's more than I can possibly digest alone.
anthony bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook. Christmas present from Andy. Not too many recipes I'll probably do, but gotta love the guy, who writes this about Poulet Roti (Roast Chicken) "And if you can't properly roast a damn chicken then you are one helpless, hopeless, sorry-ass bivalve in an apron. Take that apron off, wrap it around your neck, and hang yourself. You do not deserve to wear the proud garment of generations of hardworking, dedicated cooks. Turn in those clogs, too."



The Tenderness of Wolves, Stef Penney. "Think Cold Mountain - only colder...Mystery, romance, and really bad weather..." - People Magazine, four stars.


Fiction. Year of story: 1867. First novel for Stef Penney who is British.





Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Jamie Ford. Novel based on true discovery in a Seattle Japantown Hotel. In 1986 in the basement people go through trunks of belongings of Chinese families who were sent to internment camps. The belongings tell stories. Romance, mystery, historic, spans generations.















The Forest Lover, Susan Vreeland. (She wrote Girl in Hyacinth Blue so it's going to be good. "A lavish historical Novel about a pioneering woman artist and the untamed country she loves."


The Short Bus, A Journey Beyond Normal, Jonathan Mooney. Non-fiction. The author, who was labeled "dyslexic and profoundly learning disabled." He moved beyond his labels and he set out to interview others "who had dreamed up magical, beautiful ways to overcome the obstacles that separated them from the so-called normal world."











Say You're One of Them, Uwem Akpan. A collection of five fiction pieces about African children and survival. I am anxious to see how this fits into my experiences in Sudan and Kenya last year.






Broken for You, Stephanie Kallos. I may be the only one who hasn't read this bestselling novel yet. Satchmo has eaten page 242 to 256 so I may have to fill in the blank.



Behind the Scenes at the Museum, Kate Atkinson. Winner of the 1995 WHitbread Book of the Year. Looks to be the story of a coming of age of a feisty British child who overcomes poverty and a broken home. I liked the cover.







Naked in Baghdad, The Iraq war as seen by NPR's correspondent, Anne Garrels.
Non Fiction. I'm interested to see what its like to be a war correspondent. Maybe a next career for me?







And tonight is the kick off of American Idol and so there goes a bunch of reading time. But it's American Idol. Grins.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love Anthony Boudain - have you read Kitchen Confidential? It's a fantastic book, I re-read it every couple of yaers. And Behind The Scenes At The Museum is wonderful too. I don't think any of her later books were as good, personally, but that one is a winner.
The book about dyslexia looks interesting; I'm going to try and get hold of a copy because I work with the parents of dyslexic children and a lot of them have virtually no confidence in their abilities. I'd like to be able to point the parents in the direction of some uplifting, positive, can-do takes on dyslexia, so thank you for brining it to my attention.