Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Generous Neighbors: Zucchini Season!!







When I got back from my trip over the mountains this weekend a lovely gift was waiting on my deck: garden produce from a neighbor across the street. She had mentioned to me in passing, the other day, that she was dumping zucchinis on another neighbor’s doorstep as her garden overproduced. I mentioned that I would love to have a zucchini or two. And voila. I got a bounty! Along with two zucchini and a large pattypan squash, I received a bag full of sweet stubby cucumbers and a few tomatoes.

I gathered some parsley and basil from my garden and found all the other ingredients to make one of my favorite Middle Eastern treats: Zucchini Pancakes (which I always order at my favorite Turkish restaurant). I adopted this recipe from the Epicurious site. It makes six pancakes, enough for two people or two meals for one.

I also took some of the cucumbers and tomatoes, cubed them and tossed them with salt, pepper, fresh basil and seasoned vinegar. Yummers!

Turkish Zucchini Pancakes (Mucver)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound zucchini, trimmed, coarsely grated (one medium size zucchini will do)
  • 3/4 cups finely chopped onion
  • 4 eggs, beaten to blend
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 1t dried dill weed
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • dash ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (about 3 ounces)
  • Light (non-virgin) olive oil
  • Fresh lemon wedges (optional)

Preparation:

Place zucchini in colander. Sprinkle zucchini lightly with salt and let stand 30 minutes to drain. Squeeze zucchini between hands to remove liquid, then squeeze dry in several layers of paper towels.

Mix flour and eggs until smooth. Add zucchini, chopped onions, chopped dill, parsley, , 1 salt and pepper in medium bowl. Mix well. Fold in crumbled feta cheese. (Zucchini mixture can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Stir to blend before continuing.) Fold chopped walnuts into zucchini mixture.

Heat olive oil in fry pan. Working in batches, drop zucchini mixture into skillet by heaping tablespoonfuls. Fry until pancakes are golden brown and cooked through. Turning as needed. Remove from pan and blot with paper towels. Serve pancakes hot with lemon wedges if desired for additional flavor.

These are also great with tzatziki (yogurt and garlic) sauce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want some NOW! Thanks for sharing this. j