Monday, January 19, 2009

You Won't Believe This...

Forgive my boasting, but this just made my weekend (maybe my year?)! On Saturday I had a wonderful evening out with Jill and Amy and Leah for happy hour and then met up with Melinda and Michaela and Hillary at the theater to see Slumdog Millionaire (Wow...what a film). That was all exceptionally fun, but the real highlight I am talking about was getting carded. Yes, carded, as in "I need to see your IDs" after Jill and I ordered Stellas. We had arrived first and the bar was crowded...surprising for this economy and late on a Saturday afternoon. I'm not kidding myself. I was with Jill, who looks young. But she's nearly 40, and I nearly 50, and wow, did that feel good! Especially because they weren't carding everyone in the bar. There was a gray haired couple next to us and they didn't get carded. OK, so the waitress didn't faint when she saw what our birthdate was, and didn't gush all over herself and say "wow, there's no way you can be that old! What is your secret to staying so youthful." But she was rushed and it was loud and crowded so we can imagine that's what she wanted to say, if only she could...

I have joked with my friends about my plans for my 50th birthday. I thought it would be funny to hang out in the Safeway parking lot and ask people to buy beer for me. Can you imagine? Just like being 17 again. I wonder what their reaction would be. Anybody want to come along and join in the fun? I don't think that would be illegal, do you?

No comments: